[NTLK] Academic Article on Newton Community: An Analysis

From: Ryan Vetter <physicalconstants_at_yahoo.ca>
Date: Sun Aug 31 2008 - 03:41:07 EDT

Came across an interesting article on Abandoned Brands and the communities associated with them.  Apparently, there may be a link to these communities and mysticism/religion.  Almost like the fact that we were abandoned makes us more prone to focusing on higher powers and the like: something else to believe in now that we were left to hang.
Abstract:

This research explores the grassroots brand community centered on the Apple
Newton, a product that was abandoned by the marketer. Supernatural, religious,
and magical motifs are common in the narratives of the Newton community, in-
cluding the miraculous performance and survival of the brand, as well as the return
of the brand creator. These motifs invest the brand with powerful meanings and
perpetuate the brand and the community, its values, and its beliefs. These motifs
also reflect and facilitate the many transformative and emancipatory aspects of
consuming this brand. Our findings reveal important properties of brand commu-
nities and, at a deeper level, speak to the communal nature of religion and the
enduring human need for religious affiliation.

Article Attached.