Re: [NTLK] Re-Celling Rechargeable Packs for MP2x00 & eMate 300

From: Sonny Hung <sonnyhung_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri Feb 08 2008 - 09:25:54 EST

On 2/8/08, Marco Mailand <marco.mailand@gmail.com> wrote:
> 3. For the MP2k I think modification of the battery tray is the best.
> It's possible and technically easy to add the contact pads and the
> thermistor and some wires. Done that you can use alkaline cells or
> accu cells as you like and change'm w/o soldering.

1. A modified Battery Tray to use NiMH cells is a great option but few are
going to take the time to make one and fewer are going to see the value and
purchase one as the price will usually be a bit higher than a regular one.

I think it's an issue of convenience and only a few will consider it as I've
only had two people purchase them from me.

The only real issue is that when using Alkaline cells in the modified
battery tray one SHOULD NOT use the Newton Adapter since it will try to
charge the cells. A BIG NO NO... in safety. I never had the time to make a
modified Battery Tray version 3 with a switch in it for Alkaline OR NiMH. I
will eventually try this but I don't see the value as the cost would be
increased greatly due to the additional man hours.

* One note is that I'm thinking about another way to make these modified
trays a simpler way - they won't look as OEM as I like but they will be
easier and faster to make.

2. My suggestion in the original post was because of the pre-packaged packs
which would need only to have the Thermistor added with the wiring harness
grafted for use with the eMate.
The cells are like < $16 at one site for four 2600mAh AA cells. These are
also shrink wrapped with the +/- leads already attached.
I also saw a two pack which consisted of two sets of four AA using
NiMH 2200 mAh cells. Unfortunately this version was not in stock. If
anyone is interested contact me as I can pull the website off my PC or
Mac at home. Or you cna just do a search like I did for NiMH 4.8V at any of
the online sites to see if they have anything.

--
God bless,
Sonny Hung