Re: [NTLK] newtontalk Digest V8 #76

From: Simon Stapleton <simon.stapleton_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun Feb 17 2008 - 12:20:01 EST

On 17 Feb 2008, at 17:58, newtontalk@newtontalk.net wrote:

> Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 08:55:10 -0800 (PST)
> From: <wheresthatistanbul-newtontalk@yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: [NTLK] Carrying a 2100: holster
>
> Hello,
>
>> Over here people are a lot more inclined to find out
>> what a thing is before they decide it's a gun. (Of
>> course they might shoot you for just being a
>> Brazilian electrician on your way to work, but that's
>> another story.)
>
> If I'm reading this right, does this mean you're
> currently in Brazil?

I think not, the reference to Brazilian electricians was more to do
with the Menezes case in London. The aforementioned and utterly
innocent Brazilian electrician, Jean Charles de Menezes, was mistaken
for a suspected suicide bomber, tailed by the police on his way to
work, and then held down and shot in the head 7 times by officers of
SO19. 7 times is bad enough, but, despite being fired at point blank
range, they also managed to miss 4 times. On top of that, although
they thought he was a suicide bomber ready to detonate himself, he
was allowed to board a bus at rush hour, and enter a tube station,
before police acted. The police then lied about the affair, claiming
he had wires trailing from his jacket (he didn't), that he had
refused to comply with police orders (he hadn't), etc etc.

Not the UK Police's finest hour, sad to say.

Back on topic, if you want custom leatherwork done in London, Brick
Lane is a good place to go.

Simon