[NTLK] New eBooks!

From: <mkow1234_at_aol.com>
Date: Wed Feb 27 2008 - 12:56:54 EST

Great suggestion, James! I'll check out the link that you recommended. :O)

I also thought that, given the recent U.S. news, anything related to the meat-packing industry would be relevant and possibly of interest. I'm pretty sure that Upton Sinclair's book is copyright-free material as well.

I'm at work now (on lunch break), but I will respond to eBook requests later this afternoon/evening.

Very best regards,

Matt K.
Detroit, Michigan USA

=============================

Well, okay. [shrugs]

How about "Heroes of the Telegraph" by John Munro?

http://www.gutenberg.org/dirs/etext97/htgrf10.txt

It's basically the story of 19th Century venture
capitalism, first in connection with the telegraph and
then with the Atlantic Cable soon after.? It explores
the personalities behind the innovation that made the
Grandfather of the Internet possible.

I don't know if it's quite your (or your readers') cup
of tea, but with all the undersea cable cuts that have
been in the news as of late, it's a work that gives a
good overview of just how undersea cables came to be
in the first place.? It also shows how the
technological pioneers of the 1990s were far from the
first generation to make (and lose) fortunes while
bringing to market technology that would change the
world and make possible the exchange of information on
a hitherto undreamt-of scale.

There are even a couple of brief mentions of Newton
(as in Sir Isaac) in it.

At any rate, please take a look at it and decide if it
might be suitable for your needs.

Best,

James Fraser