Re: [NTLK] Newly Joined

From: James Fraser <wheresthatistanbul-newtontalk_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu Feb 28 2008 - 17:25:35 EST

Hello,

I wanted to clarify a couple of points for the OP:

--- James Fraser
<wheresthatistanbul-newtontalk@yahoo.com> wrote:

> So picking up a MP 120b or 130 might be an
>inexpensive way to get a look at the Newton without
>spending too much. The eMate I mentioned in my
>inexpensively, too, as a lot of them were
manufactured >for the educational market.

When I referred to the above machines as being
"inexpensive," I meant that you can likely pick them
for below $40. In the case of an MP 120b or 130, you
should be able to find one in the $20-$30 range if you
look around a bit. Older model Newtons can be had for
even less, but you really want something with NOS 2.0
installed on it in order to get the most favorable
initial impression of the Newton's capabilities.

My first Newton, for example, was an MP 130 I got for
$20. And just a few days ago, I was pestering an eBay
seller who was offering *two* eMates for $50, total,
shipped (granted, sans styli/AC Adapters, but these
can be easily and cheaply had). Well, I didn't need
two, (let's face it: I hardly need one) and when I
asked them, they said they'd be willing to sell an
individual unit for $28, shipped.

You get the idea: getting your very own decent-model
Newton to experiment with needn't involve substantial
hand-wringing or bank account abuse.

> Of course, all this assumes that *you're* the one
> who'll be footing the bill for any Newton-related
> purchases. If, on the other hand, you have a boss
> with a bottomless wallet, (or just a boss willing to
> pick up the tab) you may want to look at a
> MessagePad 2000 or an MP 2100. These were the last
>models released by Apple and Newton Technology,
> respectively. And since they were the last models
>ever to come out, they tend to command higher, if not
>premium, prices.

I cringe when I read what I wrote there. [blushes]
And I can only hope my use of the adjectives "higher"
and "premium" when describing Newton price points
didn't send the OP scurrying away, their hopes of ever
potentially owning an MP 2x00 forever dashed by the
idiot James and his reckless use of the English
language.

An MP 2000 or 2100 *can* be purchased: it happens all
the time. And while the use of the words "higher" and
"premium" can indeed be justified when describing
their price points as compared with what other,
earlier model Newtons typically go for, getting your
hands on one is by no means something that will reduce
you to eating nothing but packet soup and avoiding eye
contact with your landlord.

No: a fairly bare-bones MP 2x00 will run you somewhere
in the neighborhood of $100, give or take. In fact,
someone is currently flogging a "package" deal on eBay
consisting of a used (but purportedly functional) MP
2100 and a few basic accessories for $80 + shipping.
Of course, this is to furnish but one example purely
for illustrative purposes (i.e. not necessarily to
endorse that particular auction or anything).

And MessagePads go on sale on the list all the time,
too, although the prices may well tend toward the high
 end of the scale, seeing as how the list members can
be relied upon to know what they have. [cracks grin]

Even the stylish, conversation-starting setup of MP
2100, keyboard, and black Cordura case (with
embroidered Newton logo) shown to us by Marcus
Hammerschmitt in his earlier post:

http://tinyurl.com/2mqazp

...might not break the $150 barrier if you shop around
a while.

The kicker, as previously mentioned, is that
connectivity to other devices may take a bit (and
sometimes a lot) of experimentation. So while picking
up a Newton and getting it connected to your desktop
machine may not take a great deal of expense as
compared to, say, the price of a full-blown laptop,
getting your Newton to talk to another machine is
likely to require more in the way of patience and
understanding.

Anyway, I'm just off to take some Immodium A-D for
what seems to be another outbreak of Keyboard
Diarrhea. I just wanted to make the point that while
buying a Newton is something that bears careful
consideration, (same as any other purchase of used
computing gear) it's *not* something that you
necessarily need to bring up with your local bank
manager even if you decide to go "whole hog" right out
of the gate.

Best,

James Fraser