Re: [NTLK] [NTLK]Nokia buys Troltech

From: Martin Joseph <NT_at_stillnewt.org>
Date: Mon Jan 28 2008 - 14:23:45 EST

On Jan 28, 2008, at 10:06 AM, Jon Glass wrote:

> On Jan 28, 2008 6:40 PM, Woody Smith <woodysmith@comcast.net> wrote:
>> <http://www.nokia.com/A4136001?newsid=1185531>
>
> Thanks Woody (and others!)
>
> My take on this (first thoughts). Well, this is Nokia's answer to
> Google's Android and Apple's OS X on iPhone. It also spells the
> death-knell to Symbian.

I certainly hope not. I am a user of a Symbian phone and it works
quite well. It has more function then the iphone although it's uglier
and MUCH harder to configure and make it work...

> Perversely, it also puts Nokia in an awkward position. Their internet
> tablets run on GTK+ (Gnome) which is like the mortal enemy of KDE, and
> Nokia just added the Mozilla browser to their tablets--which is in
> contrast to the KHTML/Webkit used in KDE/QT... Very fascinating!
I think you are overstating the "mortal enemy" nature of this
competition? Hopefully open source developers are not so stupid as to
be destructive of each others efforts.
> Hard
> to say how this will all play out--shame it won't help our beloved
> Newton. :-( (Wonder if we will still be able to run Einstein on the
> next gen tablet?)
Yes it might. If Nokia really adopts a Linux everywhere strategy as
you suggest, in particular with a standard graphical layer, this could
really help Einstein.

> Oh, one more thing... Wonder how Nokia will respond if competitors
> start putting the open-source QT or KDE stuff on their phones? ;-)
They would need some pretty beefy phone hardware for that...

I see this as being a response to Google's android and shows a desire
on Nokia's part to participate fully in this exciting area (ie Linux
devices).

OSX still is by far the leader in this area (go figure). As the iphone/
ipod touch has clearly shown how powerful and easy a compact device
can be.

Marty