Re: [NTLK] No New Newt, epaper witn pen

From: Steven Scotten <splicer_at_paroxysm.com>
Date: Tue Jan 29 2008 - 03:42:15 EST

On Jan 29, 2008, at 12:06 AM, Jon Glass wrote:

> On Jan 29, 2008 5:56 AM, Scott Rogers <srogers@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Simple: it is usually more convenient to write than to type.
>
> It all depends. I like my Newton, because I can write when I'm
> standing, or sitting on the sofa, ore lying in bed. I like my
> computer, because it sits at the desk, where I have lots of room to
> spread out, and because data entry is so much faster, and the screen
> larger.

Exactly. There is no one-size-fits all solution for all people, or
even for all circumstances for just one individual. Certainly I never
meant to belittle pen-based tablets, just to say that there is cause
for other kinds of computers as well.

I think your ideal of a scalable platform with different interfaces
for different contexts is spot-on. As much as everyone had a good
laugh when Palm announced the Foleo, I think that's where we have to
go, except one step further. Even our desktops will become "handheld
companions" and all our data, perhaps even all our applications and
processing power, will be in the one device which is kept on our
person at all times. Desktop computers and laptops then will simply be
keyboards and screens, smart terminals at best.

We have a little ways to go before we're there technologically, but it
would solve the ever-expanding problem of data synchronization. Do you
know how many devices I have to keep in sync with one another? It's
absurd, and inevitably leads to data corruption.

But then again, everyone laughed at the Foleo, so I'm probably just
stupid.

Steve