Re: [NTLK] No New Newt, epaper witn pen

From: Jon Glass <jonglass_at_usa.net>
Date: Wed Jan 30 2008 - 14:04:47 EST

On Jan 30, 2008 12:24 PM, Lord Groundhog <LordGroundhog@gmail.com> wrote:
> My only niggle about my Newt is that I seem to recall reading that there's
> some kind of problem looming with the Calendar app, or perhaps it was with
> the internal date of Newtons, that means we only have a few years left
> before they won't work. (I think it was something to do with locking up
> when you set the internal date after a certain year?) If anyone knows what
> I'm talking about (I obviously don't!), I'd love to know what's what with
> that. Of course I'd be happier to learn I'm wrong about that one.

Well.... not really wrong. Yes, it's an internal thing. The Newton
clock works like an odometer. It counts up minutes from a certain date
in the past (forget the date, exactly). At some point around 2010,
this odometer rolls over, and our Newtons go bonkers. Avi Drissman,
though, wrote a quick fix for it. I've tried it resetting my clock
forward, and my minor stress testing showed it to work. BTW, the
problem only reveals itself if you have dates in the Datebook. So, it
is possible to recover yourself if the bug fix doesn't work. :-)

But in any case, I think the extension is findable on UNNA. It's
fix2010 on my Newton.

But, while it's a problem, it's not the end of the world as we know it...

But here's a thought. When 2010 rolls around, Our newtons will
becoming dangerously close to being antiques!!! ;-) _Surely_ somebody
will have learnedsomething from the Newton by then, and will have
something handheld/pen-based that actually works!

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland