Re: [NTLK] [OT] Yet another Mac question

From: Ian Strom <macjunky_at_uniserve.com>
Date: Thu Jul 03 2008 - 00:34:03 EDT

Oh but you *can* replace capacitors. You just need similarly rated
capacitors of a good brand, a soldering iron and a bit of skill with
the iron. People do it with motherboards and other PCBs like the power
sweep/analog boards in the old compact Macs and such. Keep in mind
that surface mounted capacitors can be leaking on the bottom without
being noticed with the eyes at all.
For capacitors that are not surface mount any that are tilted to one
side (like with one lead appearing to be bigger than the other) can
indicate that it is pretty much at the end of it's useful life and is
a risk of popping&leaking on you.

Also worth keeping in mind is that the backside level 2 cache on the
machines like the Wallstreet, PDQ, Lombard, TL iMac, etc have been
known to be failure prone and cause similar symptoms. The CPU daughter
card in my Lombard suffered a cache failure and displayed symptoms
very much like what has been described even if it was at or below room
temperature(large freezers can be useful for testing :P

L.W. Brown, You can boot Mac OS off a ZIP disk, I have personally done
it with 7.1, 7.6.1 and 9.1(might have been 9.0.4, I cannot remember).
On a side note, if there is a disk in the drive during boot and you
are booting off the HDD Mac OS can mount it initially without having
the Iomega drivers installed but if you remove it and put it or
another back in Mac OS cannot mount it unless you reboot with it in
the drive.