Re: [NTLK] [OT] Yet another Mac question

From: Doug Parker <ispinn_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu Jul 03 2008 - 10:44:20 EDT

Hints:

If redoing the heatsink-to-CPU with heatsink compound, keep the layer
of heatsink compound as thin as possible. Remove all old compound, as
leaving built-up pads of old compound makes for thicker layers of
newer compound--you don't want that. The compound is really intended
to aide in the transfer of heat from *surface to surface*--not so much
*through* the compound itself, so once again, keep the layer of
heatsink compound as thin but as completely covered as possible.

Point 2:

Reseat your memory SIMMs, or if using multiple SIMMs, try different
combinations in different slots. Dislodging and reconnecting SIMMs may
re-establish connections that have become open.

I had a Win system with similar temperature-related symptoms that had
me pulling my hair out until I swapped its solitary SIMM for another
SIMM and the hard-to-pinpoint symptoms vanished. When the symptoms
vanished, so did that SIMM, if you know what I mean!

Also, use silver-to-silver or copper-to-copper connections in the
SIMM-to-slot configuration. Mixing these will cause deposits at the
connection points due to the mismatched materials.

Doug Parker