[NTLK] Timetrax - if you don't know it

From: Andy Hill <adhill_at_fastmail.co.uk>
Date: Thu Jul 03 2008 - 18:05:59 EDT

Hi there,

I've been using Timetrax for a while now as a preferred calendar. I find
it has a number of really great features which are an improvement on the
inbuilt Dates app.
I thought I'd share my view in case in case the features are of interest
to anyone else.

By the way, Timetrax is available for a 30 day trial and the company are
still accepting registrations which cost *41.94* (Euro) or about £33.
Personally I think it's good value. (Timetrax = 1 of my wife's haircuts!)

Take a look if you haven't come across it already and download a copy from:

http://www.config.de/TimeTrax/

(Ps I have no connection with the developers whatsoever)

Pros:

1] It has a nicer interface overall with Day, Week, Month and Year tabs
to the right hand side.One tap (instead of two) and you're there.
2] Todos (in an overview mode) are shown in a subscreen which you can
minimise and maximise with one tap.
3] There are three categories of Todos which have a tab each on the
right hand side. You can name these tabs anything you like and by
tapping them they act as a filter. For example I've named mine: Work,
Home, Study. You can categories your ToDos according to the three. There
is also an All tab to show all your todos together.
4] When you tap> New>Todo you will notice a couple of nice features.
Firtly you can add notes, which you can't on the inbuilt todos. (These
are not notes from the Notes App) but useful all the same. If you add a
note a tiny icon appears on the right hand side of the note in overview
mode. If you want to add to it, you tap the icon, it brings up the note
only. Secondly you can set Alarms for any time on any day.
5] When you tap >New>Todo you can choose either a Call or a Todo. If you
choose Call you can choose an entry from Names and it will insert the
number automatically.
6] For Todos and Meetings you can record a set of standard entries and
call these up to save writing time. For example: 'Type up minutes from',
then with two taps you can insert this text into the heading and add the
particular meeting that this refers to.
7] The week preview of the calandar has two modes. Both in my opinion
are superior to the inbuilt Dates app. Tapping the Week tab changes the
mode. One is a vetical mode with todos included, the other is a
horizontal mode. In the prefs you can set the horizontal mode to show
the names of meetings and have this rolling forward a week at a time or
always start on a given day of the week.This is an excellent feature.
Your week ahead is really visible.
8] Timetrax seems to save things into the inbuilt Dates storage so if
you chop and change with Dates all your entries are there, except of
course the additional features. (I don't know where the additional
features are saved as there is no specific storage?)
9] It is only about 150k and doesn't slow an MP2000 down at all.
10] There's a nice time button which doubles up as a battery indicator
when tapped.
11] There is a Today button always present. So wherever you are, one tap
and you're back to the present moment. (This is of available with the
built in app but takes two taps)

Cons:

1] The largest text size you can choose in prefs is size 12. Personally
I find this a little small and would prefer 14.
2] You can't choose to view three consequative Tuesdays or three
straight days for example as you can in the built in app
3] There are no linking features to Notes, or Names as there is in MoreInfo
4] It isn't free.

All in all I think this is a fabulous, well thought through application.
It's not as feature rich as MoreInfo but it's less memory intensive and
has some excellent features.

Andy