Re: [NTLK] RES: What can I do on my 2100?

From: Lord Groundhog <LordGroundhog_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri Jul 04 2008 - 14:23:37 EDT

~~~ On 2008/07/04 18:52, Ed Miller at cmdrguard@gmail.com wrote ~~~

> Hey Christian,
>
> Very very nice guide you have there for HWR. I recently acquired
> three emates and I've been trying to improve HWR for note taking on
> these devices.
>
> I can't seem to find any "Learn my handwriting" option in the
> fine-tuning menu of the handwriting recognition prefs. Is this feature
> only part of the 2100 or do emates have it too?
>
> Regards,
>
> Ed

Hi Ed,

I'm sorry I don't know the eMate. Although I've admired the eMate from
afar, I've never felt the urge to get one. As I mentioned, I'm one of the
lucky ones. When a friend did a Newton "show'n'tell" for our MUG a few
years ago, he let us try his. I quickly discovered that the Newton HWR
system and I seem to be made for each other, and even without setting and
training it, his MessagePad was happy to render my scribbles with very few
errors in the course of the evening. Because of that I've never felt the
need to carry a keyboard.

I've always assumed the eMate was running the same version of NOS as my
MP2100.

Thought: double-check the sequence, in case I didn't explain it as clearly
as I thought.
1. Tap the "Preferences" icon
2. Tap "Handwriting Recognition"
3. Tap "Options" button
4. Tap "Handwriting Settings"
"Learn my handwriting" is the last of the 3 checkboxes.

And if any eMate owners want to pitch in here and rescue me, please don't be
shy!

Shalom.
Christian

łAny sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from a Newton.˛
            -- what Arthur C. Clarke meant

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1ZzpdPJ7Zr4
(With thanks to Chod Lang)
http://tinyurl.com/29y2dl