Re: [NTLK] Mini notebooks

From: Kostas Theofilis <roufianos_at_mac.com>
Date: Sat Jul 05 2008 - 15:34:09 EDT

On 5 Jul 2008, at 20:13, Jon Glass wrote:
> Ah, that's because you are using the very resource-hungry Gnome, or
> KDE. Try something much lighter, like LXDE... That's a desktop
> environment that plays great o my Dell 366mhz PII. And even lighter,
> there are the window managers.it seems like a joke, but
> it's real. There are lots of options for window managers and destkop
> environments under the X11 environment (and I forgot to mention the
> xfce DE)...

True. I have tried some of them BUT:
1)Most of the times I will need to install KDE and gnome libraries
anyway.
2)I am very tired of the insanely inconsistent Linux graphical
interface. I hate having almost every single application with a GUI
logic of its own. And while I am using linux one way or another since
1995, I am very disappointed with the progress of "Linux for Desktop".
13 years and still not there. And please (not you John, I am speaking
in general) do not start about package managers, "simple" repositories
(after editing of course conf files) and apt-gets. Yes I can do it, I
am earning my living as a sysadmin and software engineer but I am not
a teenager anymore. I do not have loads of time and when I do have I
prefer to use it for something else.
I was trying to use linux exclusively instead of WinXP, but never
managed to do it completely. Then came MacOS X. I still play around
with Linux, I always have a cheap pc laptop in the house that runs
Linux, mainly for the use of the OH, but I am horrified thinking of
the lost time when I have to setup a new Linux system on a
laptop...driver horror...

Kostas