Re: [NTLK] Which backlight is better?

From: matthiasm <mm_at_matthiasm.com>
Date: Sun Jul 13 2008 - 12:53:58 EDT

On 13.07.2008, at 14:21, Lord Groundhog wrote:

> ~~~ On 2008/07/13 09:21, Martin Joseph at NT@stillnewt.org wrote ~~~
>
>> On Jul 13, 2008, at 12:55 AM, dotline7 wrote:
>>
>>> Is white or other backlight better than green?
>> No, green is best, and was selected for that reason.
>>> Is it brighter? Is power
>>> consumption the same?
>> There are mixed answers to those questions, but generally brightness
>> and power use are very similar.
>>
>> marty
>

> Sorry to complicate this, but thanks to Frank Greundel, I have two
> Newtons
> with white backlights. I tried this on a hunch, in case it might
> help my
> ageing eyesight: as I get older, I find I struggle a bit with dusk-
> like
> conditions when I try to read. On the whole I'd have to say the white
> backlight does help me to see what's on the screen better at times
> when the
> green screen is hard for me. If I had to guess I'd say it's the
> contrast
> that makes a difference.
>
> But I'd agree that there's little difference in power use AFAICS. If
> anything, it's a bit better because I don't need the backlight quite
> as much
> now.

The missing contrast is the one big reason that I can't use the Newton
on a daily base. For me, it is also age related. My vision is
definetly getting worse (and my eye doctor says that this is just the
beginning), and contrast is my biggest issue.

I was wondering if a generally brighter backlight will help (LEDs come
to mind), but I am afraid that this will not help the contrast at all.
I tried to find different displays, even if that means that I have to
build a new case, but I could not find a compatible one.

Sigh, when will I get new hardware for my eyes? ;-)

Matthias

----
http://robowerk.com/