Re: [NTLK] Pissed Off Emate

From: Frank Gruendel <newtontalk_at_pda-soft.de>
Date: Mon Jul 14 2008 - 06:34:22 EDT

> 1. Tested A/C adapter, a.k.a. brick, using my MP2100.
> 7.38V while trickle charging.

That's OK.

> 2. Connected A/C adapter to eMate. Using a Fluke meter, read 7.37V
at
> connection on bottom of eMate. The eMate power light is green.

Makes me believe that the eMate isn't charging the battery.

> 3. Removed the batter cover and battery. Cannot read batter voltage
> without making some sort of harness.

> Actually Batter connector has five pins, four used. I arbitrarily
numbered them as follows:

> Red 1
> White 2
> White 3
> NC
> Black 5

Measure the resistance between the two white wires while the battery
is
disconnected (measure the battery, not on the mainboard). It should be
about 10kOhm at room temperature. Give or take 1-2kOhm.

> With A/C adaptor connected and battery removed I read the following
pairs:

> 1-5 0.949V

This is definitely not enough and supports my belief that the eMate
isn't charging.
Normally this is where the charge voltage should be, which must be
about 6V
or so.

> I'm guessing one pair is power and the other the charge monitor.

Red is positive power, black is negative power, the two white wires
are connected
to a temperature resistor that is in the battery pack.

> Any other places on the mobo to check, besides those two big
circular contacts?

Check if you can measure the 7.something Volt where the DC jack is
soldered to the
mainboard. It's unlikely that there's a problem there since you would
in all
likeliness not get the green light if there was, but check it anyway.

You DID follow my reset sequence outlined here, didn't you?

    http://www.pda-soft.de/emate_disassemble.html

Frank