[NTLK] Using NewtonMail software for modern electronic mail (seriously!)

From: RedJazz <redjazz_slo_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun Jul 20 2008 - 09:51:52 EDT

Dear NewtonTalk,

would it be possible to send and receive electronic mail via the built-in NewtonMail software? Yeah, I know someone asked this question a few years ago, but there was no serious answer.

Because if you 2.x users with your fancy MassagePad 2x00s can enjoy the Web and electronic mail, then why we 1.x users can't? Not everyone uses 2.x, you know. Newton is a discontinued platform, and so we, the users, must help each other. Yes, I know there is UniMail, and I tried it, but it didn't work and I don't want to use it anyway. It's much easier to tap the Action (Routing in 2.x-speak) button and send the item to the Out Box just like for printing and faxing things. A few months ago I posted the thread "Web Surfing on 1.3" and no one answered.

And I have plenty of reasons why not to switch to 2.x. Some of them are that I don't have to open a slip in order to change the label of a To-Do item, NCK is way more flexible and useful than NCU, the Names application is much easier to use, and the best of all is that there is no stinking caret! To prove how cool 1.x is, this message has been written entirely with handwriting (except for corrections) on my MessagePad 120 with 1.3. And I hope that this time I will get an answer.

So yeah, how can I use 1.x to send and receive electronic mail? 'Cause this is what I bought my Newton cigarette pack modem for. If a hack would be needed, just tell me. I'd do anything in order to make it work with modern mail systems. I hate the fact I can't communicate with my friends and family when I'm on the road, and vice versa. Besides, that way I could also communicate on NewtonTalk.

M. Horvat

PS: I hope I have not offended you 2.x users with my ranting. Because I didn't mean to.

PPS: And please, answer my "Error -10401 when installing package" question. It's a pain.