Re: [NTLK] Partial Success going from Notes to PDF

From: BobR <newttalk_at_old-sock.co.uk>
Date: Tue Jul 29 2008 - 18:45:27 EDT

Ed Miller writes:
> [...]
> I'm wondering, if it was possible to print ink text notes from a
> newton style printer, then wouldn't it be possible to just capture the
> data coming out of the newton serial port, dump that on your mac/PC,
> and just use some software, purely on the computer, to convert the raw
> data to postscript, PDF, etc.? This would be something that doesn't
> require installing the LPR driver on the newton but rather uses the
> internal newton printing software, unmodified. Is this idea feasible?

Install Apple's Print-Pack on the Newton/eMate for its HP LaserJet Print
option, then print the graphics Note over a serial cable to a PC running
SoftPrintPack set to Print-to File (HP LaserJet driver). The file is a PCL
file which can be opened with a PCL viewer e.g. VisualPCL. I use this a lot,
it takes only a few seconds. More details here:
http://www.old-sock.co.uk/fleXYlog.pdf, page 38.
Works on PCs with W95, W98, W2000, XP.
I tried SoftprintPack.exe on a Linux box running 'wine' but it didn't work.
(I'm out of touch with macs).

BobR.