Re: [NTLK] Review: Newton Connection Tools for Windows

From: Michael Schaefer <mpschaefer_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sun Jun 01 2008 - 18:12:33 EDT

Hi Tony,

I'm surprised no one else has offered a review of the software for you.

I'm probably not the best one to do it as I don't use my Newton as heavily as I once did.

Once you have installed the software and added your registration details the software will be fully functioning and you can actually connect with your Newton.

I can tell you that if you hit Backup it creates a Backup File and you can view the Backup Files contects with the provided Backup Viewer Software. I have not attempted to restore my Newton from this backup so I cannot tell you if that works.

You can Synchronise with Outlook ( I'm running 2003 ) it works for what I have attempted. I have my Newton as Master and I do not use Outlook for anything else but to simply backup my PIM Data and provide a mechanism to convert Names and put them on my Phone. And it works for that purpose. Again syncing back to the Newton, I have yet to do much with but it did work the one time I tried it.

The Keyboard Transcriber Function works well and was the biggest wow factor item I got from work when some of the guys saw me playing around with it. Especially the ability to copy some text on the PC and hit Export CLipboard and it appears on the Newton after the caret.

You can install packages through the software and Import and Exporting of Notes is supported.

It also supports 56k connections without needing to hack the registry. It claims it can support 115k but I don't have the package which allowed the Newton Dock to run at that speed and so have not tested that.

Now, pitfalls,

1. It crashed on me once during the Keyboard operation but I could never reproduce the error to send it to the Author.
2. Package Manager which does some sort of UNNA Connection thing and allows you to browse all the software there and queue up download and install software has never worked for me. But, I don't install that much software anyway.

When I last spoke with the developer he was documenting the APIs for creating Convertors for other applications etc which would allow third parties to add support for things like Filepad to Filemaker Sync. But, I do not know if this has been completed or changed on his website.

Overall, I have been thrilled to have a program that meets my somewhat limited needs and allows me to connect my Newton to my Windows PC and exchange Data albeit with a cable. The registration process for me was a little nerve wrecking as I had never sent a WU Money Order and they stuffed up and tried to send the money twice but rang to confirm which allowed me to cancel the second one. But, everything else has to date gone smoothly.

My biggest complaint in general with these sorts of programs for the Newton is that we seem to have a splintered approach to it all. NCT is Windows only and while that works for me now it may not in the future when I switch to Mac. I would really like to see and effort to produce a "Palm Desktop" style of App which would allows users from any platform the same interface and connection ability.

This would then remove the requirements for Outlook or Thunderbird or Lotus Notes unless you wanted to connect to them via a Desktop conduit. And enable us to use the powerful Newton aspects of the PIM lost within the Desktop PIM Space. But, even I as a Software Engineer have not got the time to sit down and work on it so I cannot expect anybody else to work on it either.

Regards,

Michael