Re: [NTLK] eMate Educational Stuff

From: <knowtree_at_aloha.com>
Date: Sun Mar 02 2008 - 13:46:52 EST

> The eMate was targeted to the 5th grade level and higher. Some of the
> software was for scientific instruments that attached through the
> serial port. IIRC temp, pH and possibly others.

Interesting concept ... I never knew this. Sounds like something to
consider for my Open Slate project. I suppose these days the interface of
choice would be USB. Anybody recall the IO loop used by the HP41C? I sold
them more than I used them. It could do data collection and logging. The
nice thing about the loop was that adding a device did not require an
extra port on the host. And device discovery was automatic. Very clever,
but that was HP in the good old days.

Are any of you using such a rig to teach science? Or know someone who does?

Gary Dunn
Open Slate Project