Re: [NTLK] Developing for Newton under OS X?

From: Stuart Mingay <stuartmingay_at_mac.com>
Date: Mon Mar 03 2008 - 07:43:51 EST

>Stuart: you realise I am sure that the Newton development tools were
>created when Mac OS 7 was the state of the art. None of them run
>under OS X. There has been some work on creating OS X tools (thank
>you Matthias) but I would say they are still somewhat experimental.
>So Classic (or earlier OS) is really the only way to go. I haven?t
>tried it myself but emulating an earlier OS using Basilisk sounds
>promising since Classic doesn?t sound like an option for you.

I got my first Newton MP110 back in 1995 I think, but I wasn't into Mac OS then. I didn't know that it was OS 7 that was kicking about then. I did realise that nothing would run on OS X though, I just thought that I picked up on some mentions of some OS X software in these Newtontalk archives.
Just been looking into Basilisk and that looks like it's the way to go. I'd love to buy a classic Mac to develop on but I think the wife would go mental! I'm planning on selling a bit of vintage hardware to fund my Newton requirements anyway. Anyone for a working ZX 80?

>If that means Newton development is a non-starter for you then I am
>sorry, because Matthias is right, NewtonScript is a cool language. It
>certainly won?t be hard to pick up for a seasoned pro like you. The
>harder part, as with any platform new to you, will be to learn what
>functions are available in the Newton OS.

Yep, that's always the way once the fundamentals of the language are understood. To be honest after doing quite a bit of C# over the last few years I'm looking forward to limited functionality.

>I hope I can welcome you to the select band of Newton developers. We
>look forward to hearing about your efforts. And we are here to cheer
>you along the way!
>
>Simon

I hope so to. I'm sure I'll be asking many many questions!

Cheers

Stuart