Re: [NTLK] Wasted CPU cycles

From: Frank Gruendel <newtontalk_at_pda-soft.de>
Date: Tue Mar 04 2008 - 17:55:51 EST

> Consider how quickly a Mac
> 128k (that's 1/8thMB, or 1/8192th of a GB!) booted versus your
current
> machine.

Come to think of it, my first computer, built from scratch with less
than adequate soldering equipment and (whereever possible) parts from
old TV sets, booted in less than a minute. From an eight inch floppy
disk, that is. Using an 8 bit Z80 processor running at the amazing
speed
of 2 Mhz. At least before I heated up my soldering iron again and
modified
it, after which it ran at the even more amazing speed of an
unbelievable
4MHz. Equipped with 64kB of memory, this trusty little companion
allowed
me to use Turbo Pascal or Wordstar almost immediately after switching
it on.

Boy, must I be old...

Thank God there's modern computers now. My 2 GHz laptop, equipped with
2 GB RAM and running Windows XP, takes less than 5 times longer until
I can
use my brand-new Office 2007. Well, "use" would be overstating it,
because
Microsoft managed to change it in a way that virtually NO function can
be found where it has been for ages...

Frank