Re: [NTLK] Inkwell and cursive HWR in OS X

From: Marcus Hammerschmitt <marcus.hammerschmitt_at_t-online.de>
Date: Wed May 07 2008 - 18:19:40 EDT

> At 10:20 PM +0200 5/7/08, Marcus Hammerschmitt wrote:
>> With Vista sucking so much they might be even able to buy that
>> tablet HWR from Microsoft and port it to the new Newt.
>
> Heh. It's a lovely thought, and I wouldn't even feel bad about
> their software replacing Mondello (although the optimal solution
> would be to merge them, the way Microsoft merged Paragraph and their
> own in-house recognizer--I suspect that would produce a stunningly
> good HWR engine).

I was joking, really. Ballmer would have to be out of his mind or with
his back up against the wall
to even consider selling such an asset as long as he still wants to
get that UMPC thing going.
Plus, Apple simply doesn't want to.

> I imagine everyone has seen the now aging videos of Ballmer at MS
> developers conferences

Oh, I forgot - he *is* out of his mind. Well then - one of my
prerequisites has already been met.

> I'd love to be proven wrong, but I just can't see it happening.

Apart from very strange attractors taking over here (like the IT
business finally seeing reason)
there's absolutely no hope in this.

Best,

Marcus