Re: [NTLK] The "iMoleskine" ?

From: Joel M. Sciamma <joel_at_inventors-emporium.co.uk>
Date: Mon May 19 2008 - 06:44:07 EDT

Hi Jon,

> Unfortunately, what with the iPhone, I doubt
> we will ever see a Newton-like device any more. Besides the fact that
> text/faxing/calendars, etc. are so 20th century to too many people.
> Most people want mobile web, music and videos, or so it seems.

We'll the iPodisation continues industry-wide but I have a feeling
that while OSX and Cocoa are strategically very important for Apple,
they are getting bored with the Mac. The Mac instantiation of OSX
does not really seem to be going anywhere but the proliferation of
touch-related patents indicates they are thinking about new ways to
control the machine. There are three possibilities:

1/. Expansion of the touch products to handle more complex tasks with
more power. I'm not sure this is the route they would choose to take
as they would like some differentiation for pricing etc. without
cannibalisation. Some Newton-like functionality will come eventually
now the SDK is around. The lack of a visible file system on the touch
products shows soup-like tendencies.

2/. A new interface on the Mac. This preserves the software library
but opens up novel applications and form factors.

3/. A new product line altogether that takes over from the Mac. The
Mac as it is now is very much a 20th century legacy product and while
it will be around for a long time yet, something has to move things
forward. Apple must be thinking about this constantly.

Joel.