Re: [NTLK] emate printer

From: Jon Glass <jonglass_at_usa.net>
Date: Sat May 31 2008 - 02:11:11 EDT

On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 7:54 AM, Woody Smith <woodysmith@comcast.net> wrote:

> If you don't already have a printer that you want to connect to then
> it is probably easiest to buy either a used Apple stylewriter II or an
> HP Deskwriter or either an apple or HP Postscript laser printer

I'm with Woody on this one, but I would heartily recommend a
Postscript laser printer over the StyleWriter. I've used both, and
unless "portability" is an issue, the laser will give you amazing
output, while the SW only so-so. If you can find an old Apple
Laserwriter II-series printer with LocalTalk, that would be idea.
Their carts aren't so cheap and ubiquitous any more, but the carts for
StyleWriters are ridiculous, IMO (at least where I live), plus you
should get three-to-four thousand pages from a laser cart. I typically
got 3500 pages from my LW IIg. I loved that printer. I died the day it
died. It did Ethernet, serial, Localtalk, was fast enough, and never,
ever did the "let's print bands of black when we print more than 10
pages" problem, like so many lasers I've used. If you can find one
cheap. Go for it--especially the IIg.

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland