Re: [NTLK] WLAN vs. Bluetooth connection on Newt

From: Morgan Aldridge <morgant_at_makkintosshu.com>
Date: Thu Nov 06 2008 - 15:28:48 EST

On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 10:47 AM, Chris Searles <csearles@t-online.de> wrote:

> I've been reading around a bit and was just wondering. Can anyone say
> from experience which wireless format is more convenient, i.e. easier to
> set up and maintain, on the Newton: a WLAN connection or a Bluetooth
> connection?

Well, they're fairly different beasts. I have had both WiFi &
Bluetooth configured on my MessagePad 2100 for a few years now, but
have different uses for them.

I tend to use WiFi if I'm going to install large packages or perform
backups using NCX on my Mac and Dock on. I also usually use it if I'm
going to try to browse the web with Courier (or sometimes NetHopper).
I used to use email, but my Gmail account is now my primary account,
so that's out (no TLS/SSL support).

I use Bluetooth for installing smaller packages and for sending small
files (text, outlines, iCal, vCards, etc.) to/fro my Mac using the
built-in Bluetooth File Exchange and IC/VC on the Newton. I used to
also jump online via my cell phone (a Motorola v710 from Verizon;
CDMA), but haven't gotten that working since I switched to a Motorola
RAZR V3 (from UNICEL; GSM/EDGE).

Truth is I haven't used WiFi much since I switched to WPA2 encryption
on my AirPort Extreme base station because Bluetooth works smoothly
for everything I really need (except updating IC/VC... damn catch-22).
I'll eventually get back online via Bluetooth too and then I'll really
never go back.

They're both equally tedious to install, configure, and troubleshoot
except for the fact that you have to enter WiFi WEP keys as
hexadecimal. You pretty much have to have a server or client server to
talk to if you want to transfer files via WiFi, but Bluetooth makes it
pretty easy to send small files between computers & devices.

I'd say decide what your goal is: Internet access or small, frequent,
wireless file transfers. If it's the former, go with WiFi; if it's the
latter, go with Bluetooth. Or, try both and decide which works best
for you the majority of the time.

Morgan Aldridge

---
morgant@makkintosshu.com