Re: [NTLK] Newton Availability

From: Paul Braun <cygnus_at_ctgonline.org>
Date: Sun Nov 16 2008 - 08:46:29 EST

James Fraser wrote:
> To be honest, I was always under the impression that it was the high
> price point (relative to full-blown desktops) that contributed, at
> least in part, to the death of the Newton. But perhaps it was the
> simple fact that the Newton was available in such limited numbers
> that it simply never had a possibility to reach the Critical Mass
> needed for a computing device to gain widespread popularity (and
> therefore continue to be made)?

For me, it was definitely the price point. I could never afford, nor
could I ever justify, the original cost. When the MP100's started being
blown out at $200 or so by various vendors, that was the price point I
needed and I grabbed one. Used it religiously for years. Got a 130
later at a similar price, picked up a couple 2100's even later.

Sadly, I really no longer use them because they just don't fit in with
the way I do things now. But I would imagine that the original price
(wasn't it close to a grand?) prevented a significant amount of users
from taking a chance on a new concept.

--
Paul Braun
Valparaiso, IN