Re: [NTLK] Who says there's no Mac tablet?

From: Bob Carls Dudney <kosmicdollop_at_saber.net>
Date: Sun Nov 16 2008 - 14:43:48 EST

On 16/11/08, James Fraser wrote:

>I have to wonder if Apple..might become the new IBM.

When Jobs killed Newton, one of my deepest suspicions for why is
Newton is big-time competition to Mac, whose survival Apple had just
learned required re-establishing their hardware monopoly:

Newton OS is, for the vast majority of users, the best OS ever: That
individuals and tiny software companies brought multimedia to Newton
demonstrates its unlimited potential as a machine for the masses.
It's the most lean and mean, most reliable, and by far most
user-friendly OS ever* -- as just one example I've used Newton as my
main database in my medical practice hours daily for nearly 12 years
and only lost data once when I pushed third-party software where it
wasn't reliable. While Macs are great compared to the competition,
they're much less user-friendly than our dear Newt, whose learning
curve is almost nothing.

           *It's also extremely programmer-friendly, if not the most friendly.

Newton requires much less processor power and memory to do what Macs
now require unbelievable amounts of hardware to achieve considerably
less reliability than Newton.

Hardware is where the money is.

And Newton apparently requires far fewer software engineers.

Looks like a no-brainer why Newton got killed.

B C D