Re: [NTLK] OS Version on MP2K

From: Sonny Hung <sonnyhung_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue Nov 18 2008 - 09:08:38 EST

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 7:53 AM, Lionello Sacchi
<lionello.sacchi@gmail.com>wrote:
> ROM Version 2.1 (717246)-1
>
> That 717246 is the weird number I didn't find anywhere. The latest
> avialable
> patch is 710031, but on the Newton FAQ this can be applied over a list of
> other system version except mine. This is not a problem, just my curiosity.

Hi Lionello,

Here is some info for you.
In a MP2x00 (MP2000 or MP2100; hence forth called Newton) the ROM Card that
contains the Newton Operating System version 2.1 had a base version (or
revision number)

717006 | This is the Base Version Number in the ROM Card - what I recall
reading about it was that they had some corrections which were written and
that patch was applied at the factory before going out. I don't recall the
exact version number but it was lower than 717246 I'm sure. I think that was
what was included with the MP2000 when it launched.

717246-1 | This is the version listed by you on your Newton. IIRC the '-1'
means that there was one patch applied. This patch might have been what was
applied in later MP2000's

717260-1 | I think that this patch was what came with the MP2100's,but I
could be wrong of course ;-) I have this version on my personal MP2100.

710031 | The un-offical patch written by Paul eluded to by Jon (correct
version number). This was to fix the 2010 date issue IIRC :P

* there might have been a few more patches written but I don't have a list
of them. They use to be all located on the Apple (Newton) website including
the International versions. So, when you buy a Newton whatever patch
currently listed was the last one applied to it.
Patches normally are not removable because they reside in a protected
portion of Flash. Anyone could if they wanted bring it back down to the Base
NOS ROM if they had the right parts and willingness to futz with their
Newton and risk possible corruption. And this applies to the eMate 300
also.

HTH

--
God bless,