Re: [NTLK] OT. slump software released

From: BobR <newttalk_at_old-sock.co.uk>
Date: Wed Nov 19 2008 - 15:07:41 EST

Short answer Tony: it's another data-logging utility, of sorts. Difficult to
explain too. I needed a way of counting particular words in a complete bible
text (some paper Bibles aren't available in electronic form). Pen and paper
was getting messy and taking too long. I thought the Newton could automate
things. A large text-file of bible verses (representing locations of a
particular word in Bible-A) is downloaded to the Newton, Ch&Vs.pkg processes
it by sorting the books and verses, and displays each verse in turn so it
can be looked up in a different bible, and logged. Essentially, it checks
whether Bible-B contains the same verses as Bible-A, for a particular word.
Bible-A has to be one of the collection available at www.onlinebible.org.
Bible-B would be a paper bible that isn't available in electronic form, and
where pages need to be turned manually. The particular word can be anything.

Longer answer: Some time before starting the old-sock heartbeat project I
had discovered that the RC Church had removed every single reference to the
human soul in its Mass liturgy. (It was just another project running in
parallel to heartbeats, but not connected). The liturgical changes were
introduced by the committees created by the Second Vatican Council in 1965.
After studying heartbeats on the Newton, it dawned on me that there was a
link between the heart and the soul. So I wondered how souls could be
measured in more detail. If they had disappeared from the RC Mass Liturgy,
what was happening to them in the Bible ?

Lately, I hear in the media that robots might eventually appear very human
and life-like. And probably someone will decide that robots can have a soul
as well. So the old-sock soul analysis will probably expand too e.g to
explain the difference between the Pharisees and the Sadducees.

BobR.