Re: [NTLK] Car Charger for $70?

From: Ed Kummel <tech_ed_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon Oct 20 2008 - 16:39:22 EDT

Actually, you won't need the power conditioner...
That feature is already built in to the inverter. The inverter can only deliver the power it was designed to deliver. If there is indeed a surge, the inverter will blow...and if on the off-chance, the surge *DOES* get to the Newton power supply, the transformer will absorbe all but the most massive (couple hundred of volts or better) power spikes...which is highly unlikely coming from a closed power system like a vehicle alternator...
So, just plug your Newt adapter right into the cigarette lighter adapter inverter.
I picked this little beauty up at my local Harbor Freight (can also be delivered)
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber%91813

If you sign up to their advertisements, you can usually find this for about 6 bucks.
As for effiency? Who cares? Your car is the thing making the power...and the little amount of power that this thing will take is inconsequential (unless you're one of those people trying to drive around town in an all-electric plug-in hybrid...but then you have other problems...)
And the car will be generating that power whether you use it or not! Use it or loose it!

Ed
web/gadget guru
Never mind that we just had an incredibly cold winter in North America and huge record snowfalls across the continent. As Al Gore said to a bunch of us the other day, these record cold spells and record snowfalls are actually caused by global warming. To which Jerry York replied, 'Jeez then I guess we better stop this global warming before we all f**king freeze to death, eh?'

- 'Fake' Steve Jobs 3/24/08 blog entry