Re: [NTLK] eMate vs. 2100

From: Steve <steve_at_craftsathome.net>
Date: Fri Sep 05 2008 - 10:03:41 EDT

I really like my eMate. I am still experimenting with it for a few uses to which it appears well-suited.

1. Teaching my 4-year-old reading/writing/keboarding. Just using built-in NewtWorks and Macintalk is pretty decent for him. The instant-on capability (no real boot time and no HD to mess with) cannot be overstated as a major plus when dealing with a young kid that just wants to "make my own story" instead of reading one from a book.

Hopefully I wll have my Bluetooth setup in place to make document transfer and BT printing from the eMate easy. Until I get the full BT story, I will not claim "victory".

2. Acting as a reference/lookup tool on my desk top. The keyboard, touch screen, and tap-centric UI make the eMate handy for looking up info.

Hopefully I will have my software development story in place to make this a reaity. I have looked for an environment that is fast to display info in a HTML-table-like grid, can read and write to soups, and has a large base of existing source code. I have to stop flip-flopping between Waba, NewtonScript, and "everthing else" in order to write the grid reference app before I claim "victory" on this one.

I think it makes sense to play on the eMate strengths of keyboard and NewtWorks in ROM. A 2100 is kind of a different beast, no keyboard but much faster CPU and is more portable, so comparing them is an apples to oranges thing.