Re: [NTLK] Pen Computing's Newton Obituary

From: Ed Kummel <tech_ed_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri Sep 05 2008 - 16:14:58 EDT

I worked for a compnay at that time that rented out these little toys and connected them up to communications devices like cellphones, pagers, Ardis two-ways and satelite phones....
When Apple dumped the Newt, I too was saddened and wrote a short page on the company website I managed at the time (June 1998)
A quick check of the Wayback machine shows the page here:
http://web.archive.org/web/19980624032159/http://www.intouchusa.com/newtonrip.html

I remember talking to Conrad Blickenstorfer of Pen Computing magazine soon after the Newton was dumped and while together, we had seen many other handheld platforms come and go (the company I worked for supplied him with a lot of the toys he reviewed in exchange for the back page of the magazine...His dad taught me 3 color seperation in one afternoon so I could get the copy sent to him in time to make the press) and he said he felt the loss of the Newton more than any previous handheld the most.
Ed
web/gadget guru
Never mind that we just had an incredibly cold winter in North America and huge record snowfalls across the continent. As Al Gore said to a bunch of us the other day, these record cold spells and record snowfalls are actually caused by global warming. To which Jerry York replied, 'Jeez then I guess we better stop this global warming before we all f**king freeze to death, eh?'

- 'Fake' Steve Jobs 3/24/08 blog entry