Re: [NTLK] Interesting Screen Anomaly on 2100, Anyone...

From: Sonny Hung <sonnyhung_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun Sep 14 2008 - 17:01:58 EDT

On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 2:54 PM, Ryan Vetter <physicalconstants@yahoo.ca>wrote:
> I don't know the solution other than to take the whole thing apart.

Ryan,

It is my opinion that if you have an issue with the touch screen the only
solution is to replace it.

Anyone have any experience taking apart the LCD? Replacing the film?

I've taken apart many a broken touch screen, with a small hairlike crack or
large crack to it's internal glass.
There is no way to replace this film. The top coating IIRC is an anti
reflective textured surface. Correct me if I'm wrong here.
Often when the glass behind it is broken you can see the film clearly as it
is completely separated from the glass.

You will either have to pay the piper for a new piece of glass (touch
screen) or get a used replacement unit.
I usually salvage them from units I purchased in bulk way back but I only
have like 2-3 pieces IIRC - I know I saw one on my bench but I haven't
tested it in awhile.

The bottom item is a backlight card as I call it. It is slipped in place
into a plastic frame which is what surrounds the LCD. On the front of the
LCD is a thin metal or aluminum frame. The touch screen assembly is attach
to this by a double sided thin film like tape along the perimeter. I know
that there is an exact description of the touch screen at the adago website.
http://adago.net/FAQ.html#better Basically it describes it as bottom layer
Glass with two layers of Film.

--
God bless,