Re: [NTLK] How long will our Newtons last?

From: Woody Smith <woodysmith_at_comcast.net>
Date: Tue Apr 14 2009 - 16:55:27 EDT

I am not an authority on the issues you bring up but I have been
following this for a number of years.
There have been numerous discussions about the write cycles and
estimates of 20 years or more on Internal flash, but what ever it is I
don't recall any reports of internal memory failing. Flash cards have
and some folks recommend that they be removed when you press the reset
button to avoid possible power surges.
Search the archives. Start with "read write cycles" then try other
ideas
I personally store only essential extensions and Name and Date data on
the internal store.

As much as we complain when a digitizer fails "jaggies", I have been
using the same 2x00 daily for more than 5 years with no problems.
Calvin Grier made a replacement digitizer and still has a few. As
with so many things with the current pricing of Newtons, people aren't
willing to pay for new parts.

With regard to linear flash card, they are still available for a
reasonable price if you check ebay once in a while.

Let go of os 1.3. 2100 packages are going for less than $100.

I can print to my modern HP printer wirelessly with Paul's LPR driver,
but prefer to email to self and clean up on my desktop computer. But
there are still a number of postscript printers that you can use
directly via serial or ethernet.

It amazes me how well my Newt continues to meet my needs for calendar,
agenda and address book.

Woody