Re: [NTLK] Safari Pad - Apple's Tablet Computer

From: Jon Glass <jonglass_at_usa.net>
Date: Tue Apr 21 2009 - 05:03:38 EDT

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 10:32 AM, Ryan Vetter
<physicalconstants@yahoo.ca> wrote:
> ust don't understand why pretty much every computer maker, even Apple, aren't jumping on what I predict to be a coming of the resurgence of pen computing: where processors, designs, materials, batteries, screens and software have finally come far enough that a slate/tablet computer can truly be a no compromise device.  That the keyboard and mouse will finally be married to the screen: a total convergence, and we can drop the whole era of using pseudo-typewriters.

Not to slight you, but your predictions don't carry much weight by
themselves. ;-) As to pen computing.... well, stylii get lost and
break. The beauty of a touch device (finger) is that you don't have to
worry about a stylus. I most _certainly_ can see the point to that.
Every time I have to take the stylus out of my Treo's silo, I find it
irksome, and wish I could just use my finger, but, sadly, the
interface wasn't made for finger touch, and I need the stylus
sometimes. The Treos were wonderful phones, but there are lots of
compromises in them. The Newton was a wonderful device, but the stylus
_is_ an issue with it, too. Yes, you can do a lot with that finger
nail, but writing is out. On-screen keyboards are also a major
compromise, so I guess it's a wash. Except for one fact, with a
genuine querty keyboard, I can type far faster than I can write, and I
can write as fast or faster on my Newton than I can on paper, so it's
not like the Newton's HWR slowed me down (and yes, I did test this
myself, timing everything). At issue is what compromises are people
more willing to live with? A stylus or on-screen keyboard. At the
moment, people are voting for on-screen keyboards (or Treo pads) ;-)
Will stylii* come back? I am not going to predict either way. ;-)

*Disclaimer: I use that word lightheartedly, not pretending it's the
correct spelling. ;-)

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland