Re: [NTLK] Slowing Newt 2x00 = aging flashcard?

From: Sonny Hung <sonnyhung_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri Apr 24 2009 - 08:50:01 EDT

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 8:20 AM, Brett Feinblatt <bafein@mac.com> wrote:
> Is there any source of newer/lesser used cards

Yes, you have to buy them newer from Vendors or find an alternative person
selling them new.
However it would be probably best if they were smaller capacity as the
larger ones are very pricey when new.
I should have a small stash still of 4mb Old stock NEW cards I purchased
from the .org that tried to test the waters when they contact NTLK member
awhile back selling in bulk MP2000, 2000u & 2100 a few years back. I
purchased an almost complete box and may have like 10 or more unused cards
which I tested only a few times to make sure they all worked after buying
them.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sonnyhung/265221517/in/set-72057594062835904/
This is an example of the older version I have, but the newer ones are not
white body colored, they are metal and the labels are pretty much the same.
The only reason I know they are new is because they were shipped in the
original plastic protector with clear plastic slip cover and the original
OEM shipping box which indicated x out 60 left of old NEW stock.

But I do not think getting one per se is an answer to your problem.
Likely it is also an issue of fragmentation on your card (external store)
which would require the off loading of your data and reformatting of your
card - then reload your card back up and it should help with speed some. In
addition you might want to also Hard Reset your Newton too to clear up the
possible fragmentation on your internal store.

or maybe a flashcard-style adapter you can use
> with smaller, more recent storage cards?

The alternative is to try ATA Driver with a PCMCIA to CF Adapter or even a
SC Adapter. I use the first option and have two generic Type I adapters
which work fine. The only issue is to test it out and make backups of your
data as this is not always 100% reliable.

Oh, or a PCMCIA ATA Card - I have one of these also.

Check my examples here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sonnyhung/sets/72157600003434018/

HTH

--