Re: [NTLK] [OT]: dead SE FDHD (was:my old Mac SE20~help!)

From: Andy Taylor <andy_otter_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Fri Aug 14 2009 - 07:25:37 EDT

Thanks to all of you who have taken the time top make helpful
suggestions.
Thanks also to those who questioned my Mac SE20 labelling; it's
actually a SE FDHD (1989)!
if I can crave your further indulgence with a progress report and a
few more questions:

The three main suggestions have been:
a. give it a twist to help unstick the HD (Thanks Nils-Erik) ~ tried
this but no joy; though I think it is making a slightly different
whirring sound now!
b. reset the RAM SIMMs (Thanks John) . Do you mean remove them and
replace? (www.mac512.com suggests something similar ~ thanks for the
links, GY [~ who I've just realised is of same site!]).
c. John ( and Warren) also mentioned that the problem may be due to
the PRAM battery being dead. John, you said you remove the battery
which suggests it's straightforward. mac512.com indicates it's
soldered in (not one of my greatest skills!)

So the questions,
When switched on, Mac is giving whirring fan sound then a difft rising
whirring which I guess is the HD starting to spin. Then it sits and
after abt 20sec the screen gives a difft 'grain' , the rising whirring
starts again and the ?-disk icon appears. On insertion of system
floppy the floppy drive gives an engaging clunk, thinks for a bit bit
then spits out.
Would all that behaviour be down to a dead PRAM battery and if so, am
I looking at a special bit of early proprietary Mac spares? Anyone
(John/GY?) got any tips /pics on how to locate/test/replace?

Thanks again for all the help.