Re: [NTLK] pretec 32 meg card dies mysteriously--film at 11!

From: Dan <dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com>
Date: Wed Aug 19 2009 - 00:00:28 EDT

On 8/18/2009 8:22 PM, James Wages wrote:
> Fellow Newtonians,
>
> There is a lot of talk about "Pretec" cards being the root problem here, but
> I can say for the record that my dead 32MB linear flash card was NOT Pretec!
> It was in fact an AMD D-series 5v linear 32MB flash card that I had used
> without problem in my Newton for two years before it died. And yes, I did
> probably 20 or so hard resets during those two years without problem.
>

> *** Now here's the story on how my AMD flash card died...

*snip*

Ok I remember the incident, but I incorrectly remembered what type of
card it was. Apparently I was thinking of the new card name rather than
the old in this case (which is Pretec).

It could have been a fluke thing or not. Perhaps it would have happened
next time you turned on your Newton...we will never know. And I agree
that it is not worth it when it is easy to do a software reset 95% of
the time. And removing the batteries for the other part rather than
take the risk. As you said you have done many resets without a problem,
but I suppose there is that one in a million chance of something going
wrong and it is easy to avoid.

I have mentioned Pretec cards as I have heard of them having issues like
this before and they are the only company (I know of anyway) that had a
warning on their website not to do resets with the card inserted. Until
this "refreshing" of the memory, I did not recall any other brand having
 such a failure.

Did PCBMan suggest that the reset is what caused the failure? I am
assuming he didn't and just stayed with the facts at hand.

-Dan