Re: [NTLK] [OT]: dead SE FDHD (was:my old Mac SE20~help!)

From: Jon Glass <jonglass_at_usa.net>
Date: Wed Aug 19 2009 - 12:21:24 EDT

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 5:33 PM, Andy Taylor<andy_otter@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> I guess this all points to a faulty floppy drive, huh?
> Pity, I was just getting my hopes up.

Yuck. it sounds like it.

If it were just misaligned, it wouldn't be able to read floppies that
aligned drives could, but if you were writing with the misaligned
head, it could read those, because it is reading with the same
misalignment (of course, if you ever replaced it or fixed it, those
floppies would then become useless). Sorry I created confusion.

> Incidentally, before things started turning ugly again, I was finding
> one previously rejected System Disk got as far as its startup screen
> before giving up.
> Plus, the clock was set to April 3 2009 which surprised me as I
> thought it would either be correct or back at 1970...

My guess is that the clock on backup battery is running slow. that's
all. If you haven't been able to adjust it, it is falling behind, or
else, something happened at some point, and it simply lost time. In
fact, now that I think about it, these older computers, when being
force-rebooted, lose a sense of time, but the computer attempts to
compensate for this, but it's not super accurate. Reboot alot, and
your time eventually can go way off--but April??? Maybe it's multiple
things that caused such a discrepency.

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland