[NTLK] [ADMIN] Earthlink blocking NewtonTalk messages

Ken Whitcomb ken at imageguild.com
Sun Dec 6 18:24:38 EST 2009

Hi Grant,
There are some postmasters (including most notably, Craigslist) that
consider mail coming from MTAs that are not identified "properly" in
their host name, even if it is a static IP address. In other words,
they'll block messages that come from a host identified by something
like XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX at myisp.com (where the Xs represent your IP
address. Your system might very well look like a computer that's been
taken over by a trojan horse, or other malware. If EL and MindSpring
Postmasters are doing what CL is doing, you'll need to talk to your
ISP and have them change the broadcast host name of your IP address to
something appropriate such as XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX at newtontalk.net instead
of having their domain in the host name. As much of a pain as it is,
it's basically the next step for the ISPs to take in order to reduce
the spam traffic on their network.
Maybe it is something else, but this sounds exactly like a problem
I've been dealing with lately.
ken