[NTLK] Newton Message Pad 120 connection

James Fraser wheresthatistanbul-newtontalk at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 7 05:04:05 EST 2009

Hello,

--- On Sun, 12/6/09, Todd Naber <applguy at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is the Message Pad 120 worth holding onto or should I sell
> it and look for a more capable Message Pad 2000?

Perhaps that depends on what you're looking to do with it.  Can you give us a bit better idea of what you hope to get out of it?

In the interests of saving time, if you're planning to play around with web surfing, (and admittedly, the ability to surf on a Newton is pretty limited) you'll likely want to pick up an MP2100 because of the maximum amount of heap space that it offers to allow you to run packages. MessagePads that run NOS 2.0/2.1 will also offer superior handwriting recognition if the HWR is something that draws you to the Newton.

> It seems a pity since my Message Pad 120 is in such new condition.

My own experience is that if you plan to cart it around with you, it's not likely to stay in new condition. :)

The MP2100 was the last model offered by Apple and, that being the case, the most capable.  But the form factor of the MP120 is smaller and easier to carry around.  However, if having the maximum functionality available is important, you'll probably want to pick up a later model MP as the MP120 doesn't offer backlighting like later models and the 1.3 version of the NOS you're running on you MP120 isn't quite as capable as the 2.0 and 2.1 versions.

There is/was a card lender program to help people get their Newtons connected, but IIRC, it was primarily aimed at MP2000/2100 owners (someone please correct me if I'm wrong here).

If you think you're going to hang onto/carry around your MP120, did it come with a case?

Best,

James Fraser