[NTLK] "Expensive" Linear Flash (was: PCMCIA adaptor)

Dennis B. Swaney romad at aol.com
Mon Dec 28 00:44:19 EST 2009

Frank Gruendel wrote:
>> LinearFlash is just too expensive.
>
> Hm...
>
> An almost unused 20MB Intel Linear Flash card bought from yours truly would set you back EUR 15.00
> plus what yours truly pays for stamps at the post office. I don't think that's THAT expensive...
>
> Cheers

It is when based on cost per MB, Frank. I'm going to use your 20 MB card
as an example. Let's say the cost for the card is $30. Dividing $30 by
20 MB gives a result of $1.50/MB.

At my local office supply store, a 2 GB CompactFlash card (the smallest
available) is $19.48 after sales tax. Since 2 GB is roughly 2,000 MB,
dividing $19.48 by 2,000 gives a result of $0.00974 (let's round up to
$0.01 or 1 cent) per MB.

Thus for a 20 MB Linear Flash Card to cost the same/MB, it would have to
be sold for $0.20 or 20 cents. Since a 20 MB card cost per MB is 150
times that of the 2 GB CompactFlash, it really is "just too expensive"

Besides, your prices for Linear Flash Memory are the LOWEST and MOST
REASONABLE I've seen. Look at what this company wants for a 20 MB card:

http://www.synchrotech.com/products/linear-flash-pcmcia-pc_cards_02_intel-series-ii.html

--
Sincerely,
Dennis B. Swaney