[NTLK] Transfer of notes with drawings to Mac/BootCamp - possible...?

Morgan Aldridge morgant at makkintosshu.com
Tue Dec 29 08:08:58 EST 2009

On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 4:10 PM, Berthe M. Willumsen <bmw at bio.ku.dk> wrote:

> Is there a way I can transfer these in a displayable form to my (Snow
> Leopard) MacBookPro? Years back, MacJournals' Dan Schimpf hinted that
> picture transfer might be comming up, but I don't think it ever
> materialized. I do have all text from my text-notes in his MacJournal
> 2.6.1 - teriffic, but I'm missing the notes with drawings....

You could use Toolkit.pkg installed on your Newton along with Simon
Bell's NCX[1] on your MacBook Pro to take screenshots of notes in
question and then edit and/or stitch them back together on the Mac.

Alternatively, Daniel Padilla wrote a utility called ScreenShooter[2]
that works with Simon Bell's SimpleMail[3] and the GIF Server[4] from
NPDS to allow you to email screenshots as GIFs. Unfortunately, I don't
believe ScreenShooter has ever been updated to support Simon Bell's
newer MailV[5] email client.

One other option that has never really been implemented is that Jake
wrote some NewtonScript code[6] that could generate SVG files (an open
vector graphics format) from notes w/drawings, so all the elements &
line strokes would be preserved, scalable, and fully editable in a
number of Mac OS X applications (including Illustrator, Lineform, and
many others). I'd love to add this functionality to Eckhart Köppen's
IC/VC[7] so I could import/export drawings to/from my Mac via
Bluetooth, but I just haven't had the time for such a project.

Did I miss anything glaringly obvious?

[1] <http://homepage.mac.com/simonbell/connection/index.html>
[2] <http://dev.newtontalk.net/dpadilla/progs.htm>
[3] <http://homepage.mac.com/simonbell/simplemail/index.html>