Re: [NTLK] Chat programs redux

From: Tony Morrow <gizmo1482_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun Feb 01 2009 - 19:47:09 EST

On Feb 1, 2009, at 4:20 PM, Scott Hoffman wrote:

> Greetings,
> Does anyone here use any of the available chat programs on
> their Newtons? I tried to load Chat Buddy, NewtJab, and even the
> other IM client - can't get any of them to want to work properly.
> Thanks -
> Scott

I've got IM working on the Newton using NewtJab (version 1.2). I
connect to jabber.hot-chilli.net because it has transports for AIM,
MSN, Yahoo, and others. With it I can talk to all my contacts
regardless of what service. You will have to use a Jabber client on
your computer to setup a Jabber account and register to the service
transports. I used Adium on my Mac.

One note about NewtJab: there is a bug in the interface where what
ever you set the username or password to, the other is set to the
same thing. For example, if I set the username to "john1" then the
password will also be set to "john1". If I change the password to
"john2" then the username will reset to "john2". Keep this in mind
when you are creating the Jabber account. Its easier to just set both
the username and password to the same thing (although security is
incredibly weak).