Re: [NTLK] NEEDED: cables

From: <Reilly001os_at_aol.com>
Date: Thu Feb 05 2009 - 14:43:20 EST

Thank you Matthias & James for the much more in depth answers to the din/dsub/PS2 talk, and with much better wording then my walnut sized brain can manage :-) So for anyone else confused at this point here's the round up; Yes, Dennis is correct in the most technical sense in that there is a 'serial' mini din on pc's (2 actually), but they are useless in the context of newtons because of the fact they are not available as general purpose RS232/422 serial ports. However my statement about mini dins not being (widely, if at all) used on pc's for serial (ports) would also be correct if your considering the context of the discussion, newtons and general purpose serial ports for syncing. I assumed everyone understood PS2 ports cant be used for general purpose serial ports and there for are irrelevant to the discussion and I also assumed that when I wrote " I've never seen a pc use use a mini din for serial" it was understood that 'serial' was referring to 'general purpose serial ports' not just any form of serial
communication. I did a lot of assuming with my vague statement and you know what they say about assuming lol.
Joe Reilly