Re: [NTLK] Any tips on using Mail V? This is my first email o

From: Simon Bell <simonbell_at_mac.com>
Date: Tue Feb 24 2009 - 06:56:08 EST

Ron, Matt,

As the author of SimpleMail and Mail V, I couldnít ask for a better
support team! I realize this is late, and I donít think I can add
anything to what youíve said to help out Ryan, except maybe trying
the debug version (of either app) would help pinpoint the command the
POP server takes exception to.

Iíd like to take this opportunity to fill in a few details about
these apps -- it might help understand some of whatís been going on.

SimpleMail started out as a simple POP mail client for my own use.
Over time, features were added until the point came where the
original structure just couldnít be extended any more. I wanted a
full IMAP client so I created Mail V. (This would be shortly after OS
X arrived.) It is more robust, has better attachment handling, faster
text encoding, etc. I stopped developing SimpleMail.

Itís important to realize that SimpleMail and Mail V are NOT
compatible. With hindsight, I should have made this more obvious.
They share some data structures, but neither will work correctly with
the otherís settings. Thatís why Ron, youíre absolutely right to say
if you switch mail app you MUST delete all previous mail setups and
preferences and create them anew. And install the right stationery
and extensions; you canít mix ín match them either.

I was so convinced that IMAP was the way to go that I assumed most
SimpleMail users would switch to Mail V; so it came as something of a
surprise to find so many people still using SimpleMail because they
needed POP mail access. I created the POPMail package to patch Mail V
to speak POP.

So if youíre wondering which app to use, I would say Mail V. (If
SimpleMail works for you thatís great, but I still think Mail V is
better :)

As for that memory leak...

This is actually a bug in the Newton OS. Basically, message text is
stored in a virtual binary object (VBO) on your default store. A VBO
can be resized; but if it ends up smaller than it started, the OS
loses the difference. There is no way to reclaim the space except by
reformatting the store. I would need to spend some time figuring a
way around this.

Simon