Re: [NTLK] [OT] eBay sniping

From: Jon Glass <jonglass_at_usa.net>
Date: Tue Feb 24 2009 - 07:53:54 EST

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 10:41 AM, David Neale <david.neale@telenet.be> wrote:
> Does proxy-bidding no longer exist?

Yes, that's the whole point of putting your max bid in first. However,
what happens/ed, is that prices would go up fairly early, so people
started waiting until the very end to start bidding. BTW, this happens
in real-life auctions. The serious bidders don't begin until very late
in the process, less they bid the price up too soon and too high.
Hence, the practice of sniping. In other words, placing an early, high
bid almost guarantees that if you win, you will win with a price very
close to your maximum bid. Not a happy prospect, and hence, once more,
the practice of sniping. There is no ideal, especially with hot-ticket
items like the Newton briefcase. Therein lies the rub. I just last
week won an item that I bid on days in advance, but nobody else bid
on. But then again, I didn't expect anybody else to bid on Piko Junior
train HO-scale train cars. ;-) It all depends on the item.

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland