Re: [NTLK] [OT] eBay sniping

From: Ryan Vetter <physicalconstants_at_yahoo.ca>
Date: Tue Feb 24 2009 - 15:45:00 EST

Out of all of the ebay purchases over the past years, I think I have lost just a couple where I really wanted the item: I always win them.

I started Ebaying in 1999, and spent a lot of time learning the ins and outs: it's like riding a bike, even when I take time off Ebaying, I know exactly what to do and look for. But winning the item is only half the battle, you must ensure that you are getting a product that is what you are expecting. Despite all of my checks and balances, I have, at times, received items that were defective or just plain junk, and I have vehemently fought with the sellers to get refunds on these. But most of the time, after I go through all of my checks and balances, the item is exactly what I expect.

That means that I don't bid on a lot of stuff on Ebay because the item+the seller do not meet my quality criteria. I work hard to mitigate risk. In the case of that Newton bag that the OP lost, I did see that on Ebay. The way I look at it is, someone wanted it more, and really, when you have a sleep on it, did you want it THAT BAD? Because that item was used, and not too attractive - it was kind of beat up. I think it was a good thing that you did not win it (i.e. buyer's remorse): at some conscious level, you were thinking that it was only worth so much based on condition, utility, etc., and your brain stopped you from going over x amount of dollars - that sort of restraint is logical and a good thing.

That's why, when I have lost, or sort of wanted to bid but did not because the price spiked toward the end... I know that I am only willing to go so far, and that it is better to leave it and look another day, because there will always be other deals...

Ryan