Re: [NTLK] Date issues, who is responsible? Some background, and why the Newton died.

From: Andrei Chichak <newton_at_chichak.ca>
Date: Mon Jan 05 2009 - 13:25:23 EST

>So, what would happen if the TimeInSecondsToTime was disabled? Would the
>Newton still work or was that what the Fix2010 patch did?

You have 10 choices:
01) Remove TimeInSecondsToTime (and the rest of the family) which
would cause all calls to these routines to generate an error like
-48200. BUT, TimeInSecondsToTime et. al. are resident in ROM. You
can't remove them.
10) You can replace them with functions that always return the same
result. You have stopped time.

Would the Newton still work? That depends on what you want it to do.
If your criteria for working is that everything works in all cases
then no. Anything that uses the routines will either bomb or generate
incorrect results.

Was that what the FIX2010 patch did? No, I believe it redefined the
time increment (I have not seen the code). If the time increment was
redefined then calling these routines will be affected. The time is
stored in a 29 bit value, this is given.

Large time range, fine time precision, 29 bits - pick 2.

Andrei