Re: [NTLK] too Quiet on the List(Pippin)

From: Jon Glass <jonglass_at_usa.net>
Date: Sun Jan 11 2009 - 02:40:20 EST

On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 4:58 AM, James Fraser
<wheresthatistanbul-newtontalk@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Is this repositioning part of a cohesive overall strategy? Or is it more along the lines of "We need to find a market niche for these devices to occupy....and quick!"
>
> I guess I have a hard time thinking of those two products as "gaming devices" at the price points they occupy (and with the added expense of the data service plans needed to actually make them useful). I'm not saying it's not possible for them to be perceived that way, I'm just wondering if gamers are a large enough (and wealthy enough) demographic to keep such a niche alive and growing.

What makes the iPhone/iPod Touch great gaming devices is their novel
control system--movement of the device itself. It's like a portable
Wii. What I find interesting is that I don't think Apple really
considered this aspect too seriously when they first released the
iPhone, but people's reactions to the few games that were demoed kind
of blew everybody away. I think this is one time that the customer
drove development. Second aspect. Most iPhone games are much cheaper
than Nintendo DS/PSP or even GBA games, retailing for $10 or less. So,
you add great graphics, unusual controls, cheap games, and creative
developers, and you have a winner--and none of it, IMO, was planned by
Apple per se. You need to look at the iPhone as a device for casual
gamers, not hard-core--like the Wii. Again, think portable Wii, and I
think you have the demographic (except the weight-loss people) ;-)

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland